When someone purchases a home they do not think that in the future they may have to make it wheelchair accessible but it can happen. There could be an injury or illness that makes a person confined to a wheelchair, a parent could become disabled and have to move it, or as the one owning the home gets older they may find themselves in a wheelchair.
Here are some of the ways that you can do home remodeling to make the home wheelchair accessible.
• At each home entrance you need to build a wheelchair ramp. Some homes have sufficient room to make a ramp but if not you could hire a professional home remodeling contractor to install a vertical platform lift at each entrance. It is a good idea to include a cover over the ramp, a non-slip surface, and handrails.
• For stairways you should install a stairway lift. This is a great alternative if you live in a two-story house because it is cheaper to install the lift than it is to move. When installing a stair lift you need to make sure that it swivels so it is easier to get in and out of. There are stair lifts on the market that will even operate when you lose power in your home.
• Make sure that the thresholds and floors are easy to get over with a wheelchair. The main problem that homeowners see when have a wheelchair bound person in their home is the thick carpet. If it is possible your entire home should have hardwood or tile floors throughout the house. You could also opt to replace your carpet with low-pile carpeting. If the thresholds are the problem you could install short rubber ramps. If there are any exposed cords on the floor you will need to remove them
• Another home remodeling job that will need to be done is widening any doorways that are narrow. By doing this the person who is wheelchair confined will be able to remove freely about in any area or room in the house. Doing this could involve taking doors off, reversing how the door opens in some instances, and removing door frames. Every doorknob should be lowered to make them easy to reach. You can also install an automatic door opener. These should be done by a professional home remodeling contractor.
• You will also need to make sure that both your kitchen and bathroom are accessible. In the bathroom you may consider a walk-in tub or in a shower you may have to lower the showerhead. In the kitchen you have to make sure that the appliances and sinks are accessible and may have to lower the countertop.
How to choose the right company to replace the siding or install new siding can be a tedious process but with a little thought and a little research a reliable and competent siding contractor can be found. Cost is a vital consideration but you never want to go with the most expensive or the cheapest. The key ingredient in decision-making should be value. You want value for your hard-earned money and value to improve your home. There are a few key details to consider while deciding which siding company offers the most value.
Experience. It may seem obvious but this is something you need to ascertain before making the big decision. The question to ask is how many years has the company been in business. Is the statement of 20 years of experience include when the owner was an apprentice? You need a company that has been in business for years and has worked on and managed many jobs. The experience of the owner is important but all things being equal I pass on a siding company that has been in business for two or three years.
Reputation. What is meant here is local reputation. It is time to be skeptical, no more how many good reviews, of a company that operates hundreds of miles away. You need to be looking for a company that has an office within a reasonable driving distance. It is easy to check the reviews on the internet and that is one method but you should also ask for references from jobs they have finished. A combination of checking online reviews and checking references will give you a feel for what kind of company you are dealing with.
Quality Materials. Lots of experience and a stellar reputation will mean absolutely nothing if shoddy or low quality materials are installed on your home. This is a long-term investment so long-lasting materials are crucial. You need to know the details about the manufacturer’s warranty. If the manufacturer offers a solid warranty then you can feel assured that quality materials are being installed on your home.
Reassurance. Are you ready to make a decision? If you do not have all of your questions asked and answered then you are not ready. You want to know that all of your questions have been answered in a straightforward manner. Do you understand what it will cost? Do you understand the process? Do you have a clear and concise time frame for completion? If there is a problem with getting straight answers then it is time to move on.
Properly Licensed. This will encompass a few things. It is wise to inquire that the companies you are considering have all of the proper licenses and insurance. You want to make sure that they will handle any needed permits. Do a little research and find out what is required and then verify that all is in order.
Even if you know little to nothing about siding contractors or siding companies you will be much better able to make a sound decision with a plan in place. After all, your home is most likely the biggest investment you and your family will ever make so due diligence will go a long way in protecting that investment.
Solar lighting works almost anywhere and all you need is the sun. The cells attached to the light (which can be a string light, a lantern, an adhesive light or any other configuration you can think of) take the sunlight and store it in their batteries for future use. As soon as the sun goes down, the solar light will come on and the process continues day after day.
When you are on a boat, you know that space is a hot commodity so the use of solar lights is a great idea, no cords, no bulk and all the light you need. Likewise, on the outside of a boat, you can’t be worrying about tripping over cords and extensions while you are on deck so solar lighting is the way to go.
Rail lights attach to railings decks or bulkheads, they have no wires or batteries, and they cost next to nothing to install. The best part is they look good and they light up when it gets dark to illuminate the area. They are highly efficient, long lasting, green and in short: No muss, no fuss.
Under cabinet solar lights allow you to illuminate the galley without trading space to do so. They simply slide under the cabinets and light your way effortlessly. Handy solar lights that come in an easy to use and install rope application is a great idea for all areas on the boat that could use a little illumination. Use them to light your hallways, around windows or across ceilings, anywhere you can use light they can be placed. They come in a variety of colours and sizes and can be customized to your tastes.
Solar dock lights are also gaining in popularity as they can be placed anywhere and are also waterproof. Nothing is worse than not being able to see where you are going, and now, you can effortlessly guide your boat into dock with all the light you need. The best part is, the energy that they are using is totally free, as long as they can soak up the sun you’re golden!
Solar lights really can be used anywhere at any time. They light our world like never before and don’t have any of the nuisance that comes with trying to light places outside the old fashioned way–with cords and proximity to outlets being issues. Light your world the new way, go solar!
Security lighting should be top of your list. Patios are often at the rear of a property. If you store outside equipment under the patio roof, or you have an expensive BBQ or patio furniture, do you really want someone climbing into your backyard and walking away with a few free acquisitions? No, of course, you don’t, so why make it easy for them?
A few security lights will deter casual intruders and make it impossible for anyone to poke around under the cover of darkness. Install motion-sensor security lights at each corner of your patio. You can switch them off if you are having a gathering and you don’t need super bright halogen lights, but leave your security lights activated the rest of the time.
Do you enjoy cooking under cover of your patio or are you more likely to curl up with a
good book and a glass of wine? Either way, task lighting is essential. Fit a bright LED light above a cooking area so you can grill food or prepare snacks safely. For bookworms, a small reading lamp in a dark corner is a good idea.
Some people use their patio for playing games, such as pool or table tennis. Once again, lighting is important, as gaming in the dark isn’t much fun – unless you enjoy a challenge!
Don’t dismiss the idea of decorative lighting. There are some amazing lights to choose from, including opulent chandeliers and beautiful net lights for a canopy roof. Let your creativity come to the fore and think about what type of look you are trying to achieve.
Do you have plants you want to show off or maybe you have some nice pieces of sculpture around the patio? If so, highlight them with spotlights or hang decorative lanterns for added visual appeal. There is a lot you can do with decorative lighting.
Some lights need to be hard-wired into the main electrical circuit, but if you want to add decorative lighting cheaply, look at solar lights. Solar lights draw their power from UV light and will work well around the perimeter of a patio. Hang solar string lights along the edge of your patio and plant solar post lights in flower pots. It’s a cheap way of illuminating a patio at night.
Experiment with different types of lighting to find something that works best with your decorative scheme. And remember, if you want to add lights to an existing electrical circuit, hire a qualified electrician to do the job.